Monday, May 21, 2012

Dead at 36

As salaam alaikum,

I take a short break from my regularly scheduled blog...to share something I heard in this documentary I watched that particularly resonated with me:

"If a man happens to be 36-years old as I happen to be and some great truth stands before the door of his life, some great opportunity to stand for that which is right. And the man might be afraid his home will be bombed, or he's afraid that he will lose his job, or he's afraid that he will get shot or beat down by state troopers...He may go on to live until he's 80. But he's just as dead at 36 as he would be at 80, and the sensation of breathing in his life is merely the belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit..." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm only 27, not 36, but could I be dead at 27? Am I standing for truth in my life and not fearing outcome for the sake of survival in tyranny? Insha'Allah the action I take in life is toward truth, and I'm not simply going through the motions of a life tending toward entropy, as it is if we just leave things as they are. Maybe the situation isn't as dire as it was in King's time.

Oh, but it is.

Folks just got quiet and continued doing so much dirty work. It's easy to hide it.

No comments:

Post a Comment