Friday, December 3, 2010

[uncensored]: For the Longest Time

As salaam alaikum,

{Currently listening: For the Longest Time - Billy Joel}

I've always heard this song, and wondered what it was. I knew it wasn't actually made in the 60s for some reason, but it's a pretty good reproduction of the sound...although I think some key musical elements that were prevalent during that time period are left out, which made it seem not as authentic. Billy Joel's phrasing also isn't the greatest, but hey, neither is mine, and I like my own singing.

So a while ago, because of my knew relationship, I had said that music didn't sound the same. It's interesting--it doesn't, and it's still morphing. I went through a period of apprehension where no music sounded good, a period of doubt and fear where I would not listen to music, and then, last night, I felt compelled to listen to Love's Train by ConFunkShun, one of my old favorites.

And then I remembered. Back sophomore year of college in the heyday of MQ, I heard this song and felt it was how I felt about him. "Warm night, can't sleep / too hurt, too weak / gotta call him up. Dial that number / no one answers 'til 2 o'clock. And if by chance, you'll let me come over / out on the street, I wanna see you, baby..." And there I'd be, wistfully before the dorm where I knew he lived, wishing I hadn't declined his invitation to visit him at his room for my propriety because, what, I was only just now becoming Muslim, anyway, it shouldn't have been that important for me...

...and then I heard it again last night, and I had to struggle for that memory. I now identified the song with how I felt now...well, heh, except for the fact that the song is, on the low, about a booty call and yeah, nobody's booty calling...


And I realize, oh my gosh...I didn't think I could feel this way about anyone else.

I listen to love songs now and it's different. It's not a wistfulness, it's not a distant admiration of the beauty of a form, it's...this is happening, this is how I imagined it would be, but now I feel it, and while brain and gut has foresight, heart has no foresight into sensation.

I hate to sound smarmy right now, but...I feel more human than I ever have.

This is not to say that not having had mutual love makes you less human, no. This is just me. For me, I've always felt left out a little bit in not having felt this what so many others have. I am coming to empathize with an entire realm of human experience that I've never had access to. It was like going to Brazil and loving the culture and being able to speak Portuguese but not being Brazilian. Entering into this is like...getting my Brazilian citizenship. It may not be the greatest place to be or the most morally right place to be, but a lot of people attest to it, love it, salute it, wave a flag to it...swear by it, curse it, write song after song about it...


This morning, I sent B an email with Deve Ser by Jorge Vercillo. I didn't send him the translation (which I actually posted here), because if I did, man, it's pretty much what I feel right now, and I've never been that frank with anyone.

I've never told anyone that I loved them. I think I whispered it to one of my cousins when they were a baby once...but my parents, no. Not because I'm a cold bitch or anything, but because...we just don't do that. Each of my parents have probably told me once each...my mother maybe twice, maybe the second time she wrinkled her nose and made a gagging sound in disgust. Not that we don't love each other. I mean, no. My mother is my best friend. I love my family more than anyone on this earth, anything. But when I go home, I sit at my mother's feet as she eats. I call my father all sorts of alternate father pet names, from Daddy to Dadi, from papá to papai, and I want to be everything he wants me to be, even though I can't be, just to make him happy. My brother is my life when I'm really quiet and I realize myself.

I love them, but I've never said that to anyone, so I'm not sure when to do it...I'm Not in Love, but I realize that someday soon I'll be there, and wow...it'll be crazy to say it.


Muslims, my dear Muslim friends, don't think I'm abandoning the deen, that I'm disbelieving in God, because B isn't Muslim. Because of my background and my love for my father, I have to take an alternative road. I'm not saying that I won't marry Muslim, but I'm also not saying that I won't marry B, because insha'Allah (and yes, I feel okay invoking God's name), yes, that's where I'm going. That's all I'm saying. I'm going forth prayerfully.


But anyway, I'm curious if other music sounds different. Other songs that used to remind me of MQ, other songs that I used to listen to and wonder if I'd ever feel that way. The big one was Overjoyed by Stevie Wonder. It was my theme for unrequited love. Now, now...I don't know. It feels like the reprise. I think the song meant so much to me at the time, it's always going to be colored by that experience. To associate it with B would make it feel...recycled, unauthentic. That song is so 2004 for me.

I think there are a lot of songs in my repertoire that were unrequited love songs...the thing is, songs that aren't are sounding different to me...but very specifically to the stage I am right now.

Songs and poetry are very worldly things, yes, but I guess I always loved it because it helped me share in human experience, helped me love my fellow human being and love for him or her what I love for myself...you know, and actually feel it, and not just because I'm supposed to.

I love that I'm going through a series of feelings that so many others have felt before--culturally specific feelings, yes, mixed up in carnality? Certainly. Therefore haram. Depending on the context, yes, but no less human. We all self-regulate as we will, but there's something about realizing the humanity of what you're feeling, connecting with that common human experience...which gives you the agency to draw your own thresholds.

You feel this, this is beautiful, because you're human, and Allah (swt) created you. But as a human, He commands you, what you should and should not do, because of this, your nature, that He well knows, that He well created.

Like my mother said, lighting a fire outside of the hearth. Like Earth Wind and Fire sang, Reasons.

I'm just blabbing now and suddenly not feeling as sentimental. It might be PMS, actually. I'll leave it with this. A few weeks before B happened, I thought of this song, Nega Música by Itamar Assumpção, and I thought about how I was like, one day, this will be true for me...it's written about a woman, so I'll change the gender. "When you least expect it, [he]'ll arrive doing with your heart what [he] does well. And [he]'ll come loving you without fear... When you least expect it, [he]'ll touch the depths of your heart, just as a [man] can. And [he]'ll come loving you without fear..."

Não, não, não, não, não...

6 comments:

  1. i rediscovered that song while in Qatar, it always makes me smile, although I'm not exactly sure why... then again so does Uptown girl...and just the way you are... maybe they have to do with the archetypal male figures in the songs... anyway

    You have to do you and be you... at the end of the day what matters is what God knows about you. If there you are (gasp)supposed to marry B, which you will discover after much reflection and prayer (I'm sure) then there must be a reason for that. Congrats on finding some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like archetypal man songs as well...I also like begging man songs of the 60s and 70s. Men don't sing like that anymore. It's like, no, you don't deserve me! Yes! Tell me about it! :) Like, "The Love We Had (Stays On My Mind)" by the Dells.

    Yeah, and on your advice...I know. Prayer is my cornerstone! Because...you know how confusing it is for a Muslimah who spent the last ::counts:: 9 years turning down non-Muslim men (and some Muslim men as well)? Prayerfully I go forward, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chinyere
    I'm truly happy for you b/c I know you're happy and in love (yes you are!). Yet I'm also saddened b/c of the religious factor...as much as we all sit there and think I'm marrying Muslim, the opposite can happen...if we choose that option.

    My question to you is this (and please sister, I'm not judging you at all): would you marry B depsite the religious different even though you think it's haram? How would you feel?

    You see I ask b/c I'm one of those who don't even give a chance to non Muslim men just in case and b/c they ar enot an option. of course I've "crushed" on many of them but it was a fleeting thing. Now, last saturday, I had lunch w/ a guy that I wish I could be with. from what's I've seen of him (in the past few months), he looks like the type of guy I've been looking for (minus some things here and there) BUT he's not Muslim. I've been thinking abt it and I feel sad. I don't wnat to "settle" but then staying as I am (at 27) is very lonely...

    I just stay patient and keep an eye opened...not an easy call even when we know the halal and haram.

    Wishing you the best. At then end of the day, as Gazelle said, do you...whatever feels right for you given your moral compass and guidelines in life. we live w/ many decisions we make (good or bad)...
    Yacine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaam, Yacine,

    It's a very good question, and I'm glad you asked it. Two things.

    For one, B asked to hang out two weeks after I gave up on ever finding a Muslim man (or non-Muslim man) and ever marrying. I was tired of continual letdowns, of hoping. And then here he was, and I had this odd premonition months before that we would end up together in some capacity. So I went with it, so maybe part of me has still given up on Muslim men.

    The second thing is...I believe that everything you pray during Ramadan comes true. I've been very lonely for a long time, and it's taking a toll on my life and my mental health for a long time, and I prayed in a very specific way all during Ramadan, and I believe this may be the answer, so I'm patiently standing by to see what happens.

    I've had agents in my life, agents of the mercy of Allah (swt). MQ was one, an agent who helped push me towards learning more about Islam. B may be another, someone who will be a friend to me, as I'll be a friend to him and stave off what is sometimes a crippling loneliness...

    It's hard to explain, sis, and maybe I'm attributing too much to God's mercy (but that seems antithetical, doesn't it, at least to say...), but I feel like somehow this is the path intended for me. B and I hesitate to talk marriage even though we know down the road that's what both of us intend...the same way I don't really want to say, but I think he could revert later, I don't know...I don't think about it at all because I don't want to make him feel like he has to, but I'm aware that's a possibility...and then this all would make sense...

    So the answer, sis...I don't know.

    After 9 years of turning down non-Muslims, as I told Gazelle (including A, who was the first person to ask me out at 16), I think I got jaded based on the racial segregation and other things that I saw in the community that are real road blocks, I got tired of trying Muslim sites that didn't work, I got tired of becoming really sad every month come PMS time, and yes, maybe I just gave up...and maybe I'm deluding myself thinking B and I will ever work, whether he were to revert or not...

    Because more than the issue of haram and halal, it would be me giving up on the dream that brought me to practice Islam in the first place...

    I would be sad for me, too.

    But I'm blinded by my belief that this is a mercy for me, and I'm just going to pray and pray, because He wouldn't lead me astray if I keep praying, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salaam, Yacine,

    Apparently, my comment was too large to process, haha. And then they deleted it. So I'll shorten the answer.

    One thing that happened that allowed B to happen is that two weeks before we "hung out," I had given up on ever marrying. Implicit in that statement was that I gave up on every marrying Muslim men. I guess part of me has still given up.

    Second thing that I can't ignore...I prayed very intensely and specifically about marriage during Ramadan, and I believe that all Ramadan prayers come true. It seems weird, especially since B is not Muslim, but I believe this is part of the answer to that prayer.

    I do think of the haram and the halal. I think about the "haram" union between my parents that got me here, being a Muslim, being a Muslim companion to my mother. I think about how I absolutely didn't want that for myself, and here I am, with a man with the same nickname as my father, the same ethnic group as my father, who's birthday is the day after my father's...but importantly, he's not Christian like my father.

    He believes in one God, but he calls no religion his own.

    And here's the sticky part. I believe that, down the road, maybe...maybe, he could revert to Islam. Maybe.

    Not because of me per se, but he also has a best friend who's Muslim.

    But I'm not holding out for that. Honestly, I don't frame marriage in terms of haram and halal because I've always wanted to marry Muslim. That's one of the biggest reasons I became a practicing Muslim...so I'd have a higher likelihood of marrying someone who believed as I do, so I'd have a partner in the deen, so I could pray with someone like my parents can't pray together.

    This could all be part of a prayer being answered...I'm not sure it's possible for me to overestimate the mercy of Allah (swt) in this sense. And I'm convinced that if I stay constant in prayer, He'll not lead me astray.

    So prayerfully, I go forward...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salaam, Yacine,

    One thing that happened that allowed B to happen is that two weeks before we "hung out," I had given up on ever marrying. Implicit in that statement was that I gave up on every marrying Muslim men. I guess part of me has still given up.

    Second thing that I can't ignore...I prayed very intensely and specifically about marriage during Ramadan, and I believe that all Ramadan prayers come true. It seems weird, especially since B is not Muslim, but I believe this is part of the answer to that prayer.

    B believes in one God, but he calls no religion his own.

    And here's the sticky part. I believe that, down the road, maybe...maybe, he could revert to Islam. Maybe.

    Not because of me per se, but he also has a best friend who's Muslim.

    But I'm not holding out for that. Honestly, I don't frame marriage in terms of haram and halal because I've always wanted to marry Muslim. That's one of the biggest reasons I became a practicing Muslim...so I'd have a higher likelihood of marrying someone who believed as I do, so I'd have a partner in the deen, so I could pray with someone like my parents can't pray together.

    This could all be part of a prayer being answered...I'm not sure it's possible for me to overestimate the mercy of Allah (swt) in this sense. And I'm convinced that if I stay constant in prayer, He'll not lead me astray.

    So prayerfully, I go forward...

    ReplyDelete