Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hell / Twenty Third Juz

As salaam alaikum,

When my mother used to read the Qur'an to us when we were little, I think the part that stood out to me the most were the somewhat amusing stories of what happened to non-believers once life was over.

I believe the Yusuf Ali translation is that they "lay prostrate in their homes" in the morning. It's a terrible vision, but at the same time...juxtaposing these images with those of people arrogantly denying the existence of God or asking for punishment to be brought on, it is a little funny...in a dark humor sort of way.

May God insure that I am never among such people...either denying truth or going to hell, prostrate in the morning...

Anyway, these were two descriptions that were great...

"And after that, no host out of heaven did We send down against his people, nor did We need to send down any: nothing was [needed] but one single blast [of Our punishment]--and lo! they became as still and silent as ashes." (36:28-29)

You're waiting in suspense about why no angels were sent down, and why they weren't needed...oh, because everyone destroyed went to hell...wow, ouch.

This is my mother's favorite one--these are companions in heaven talking to each other:

"One of them speaks thus: "Behold, I had [on earth] a close companion who was wont to ask [me], 'Why--art though really one of those who believe it to be true [that] after we have died and become mere dust and bones we shall, forsooth, be brought to judgement?'" [And] he adds: "Would you like to look [and see him]? --and then he looks and sees that [companion of his] in the midst of the blazing fire, and says, "By God! Verily, thou has almost destroyed me [too, O my erstwhile companion]--for had it not been for my Sustainer's favor, I would surely be [now] among those who are given over [to suffering]." (37:51-57).

Haha, I like how the guy in heaven is like, "Phew, that was a close one," and not, "Oh, my poor friend." He's like, well, at least I'm not down there with ya...

Reading the Qur'an definitely sometimes strikes fear into my heart, but I feel better knowing that this is, "[a divine write] whereat shiver the skins of all who of their Sustainer stand in awe: [but] in the end their skins and their hearts do soften at the remembrance of [the name of] God..." (39:23)

That's how I feel when I read it, because I feel like even believers and striving-to-be believers, if it weren't for the fact that we are constantly guided and seek the guidance through prayer...we can feel how we could fall into the realm of unbelievers, so all of the warnings for those who do not believe in the Qur'an begin to resonate with us...

Anyway, back to clinic tomorrow...tons to do as always! Insha'Allah, no more earthquakes and hurricane Irene will stay at bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment