Monday, September 6, 2010

O Que Será/What Could it Be

Salaam,

The woman I stayed with while in Brazil introduced me to this song, and I didn't understand it at the time...too many words, went too fast. But a few months (or maybe a year) after I left, I listened to it again, and wow, it is a really beautiful song.

I like this rendition the best, though the audio isn't the greatest. It starts after 1:29.







I translated this a while back, and started working with a translation such that I could sing it in English...nothing is as good as the original, though, always.

I found it! Awesome...look at the last stanza especially...wow!

What could it be that does this to me?
That crushes me inside, what could it be?
That I wear on my sleeve, what could it be?
And that rises to my face and makes me blush
And that jumps into my eyes to betray me
And that opens my heart and makes me confess
What no longer has a way to hide
And that isn’t a right for anyone to deny
And that makes me beg, makes me plead
What has no measure and never will
What has no remedy and never will
What has no recipe?


What could it, could it be?
That exists within us when it shouldn’t
That makes us unsure, that is rebellious
That is like a drink that doesn’t satisfy
That is like being sick from a party
That not even the Ten Commandments will reconcile
Nor any of the ointments will alleviate
Nor any spells, any alchemy
That not even all the saints, could it be?
What has no rest and never will
What does not tire and never will
What has no limit

What will it be that does this to me?
That burns me up inside, what could it be?
That disturbs me from sleep, what could it be?
That agitates me with the shivers
That kindles the passion within me
That drenches me in sweat
That leads all of my nerves to pray
That leads all of my organs to cry out
It’s a horrible affliction that makes me beg
What has no shame and never will
What has no control and never will
What has no reason

This is my translation. There are probably others out there.
 
Paz!

No comments:

Post a Comment