Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Sixth Juz

As salaam alaikum,

It's been a long day. I've been hungry since 4 hours before iftar time because fool me decided to go to samba today after missing suhoor. Wow, now I know what dehydration means. My mucus membranes were dry...I should have checked cap refill. I'm saving the last of my water for suhoor but man, I could even drink it now.

Briefly, because I almost went to bed, forgetting to do this...only part of this ayah...

"Unto every one of you have We appointed a [different] law and a way of life. And if God had so willed, He could surely have made you all one single community: but [He willed it otherwise] in order to test you by means of what He has vouchsafed unto you. Vie, then, with one another in doing good works! Unto God you all must return; and then He will make you truly understand all that on which you were wont to differ." (5:48)

I remember this surah being hard for me to read last year because such things as warning against taking Jews and Christians as friends, saying that those who call Jesus (as) God or believe in the trinity are rejecting the truth, reflecting on my relationship with my Christian father, etc. I don't know how I resolved this feeling last year or if I just let it fade.

I think this serves for those of us who are Muslim to understand that God will judge among us based on how well we practice the religion we follow in life. That I am Muslim doesn't mean that I get to be lax in my practice because I know that people who do not call themselves Muslims yet who uphold their faith will also get to Heaven. I have to be the best Muslim I can be, and that is how I will be judged...

Okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment